I found the following list while going through some old documents on my Google Drive the other day. Itâ€™s interesting to reflect and see something that I wrote down 4 years ago.
20 Things to be grateful for in 2012
1. Having a wonderful & supportive wife whom I can share everything with -> Still true. Phew! :p ðŸ™‚
2. Having a great family and circle of friends -> Still true.
3. Starting my journey with bio-energy healing and continuous self-improvement ->Â Yup.
4. Travel to Taiwan, Denmark, and Italy -> Have traveled to other countries with Mrs. T since.
5. Living in a wonderful apartment and having all the necessary means -> Still true but we now live in an amazing house.
6. Being able to donate money to Greater Vancouver Food Bank and other charities like Red Cross. -> Still true.
7. Having good health and good spirit -> Yup.
8. Being able donate blood 7 times -> Still donating blood regularly. 4 times in 2016 so far. 47 in total since I started donating blood. ðŸ™‚
9. Having the opportunity to become an author by getting our first cookbook published -> Published our second cookbook since.
10. Learning about passive income vehicles -> Dividend income, booya!
11. Having families come to Denmark and celebrating our Danish wedding togetherÂ
12. Having close family friends hosting us in LA and spending time with them
13. Learning about personal finances and investing and applying these knowledge & skillsÂ daily -> this is the main reason why Iâ€™m writing this blog, so I get to share my knowledge with my readers.
14. Having a fulfilling, enjoyable yet challenging job and having great co-workers on my team ->Â StillÂ doing what I enjoy.
15. Adopting T. Cat from BCSPCA -> Sheâ€™s one adorable cat!
16. Having the means to invest and getting started on my road to financial independenceÂ -> Reaching financial independence inÂ 2026? Possibly earlier? Life is full of excitement.
17. Getting over $2000 in dividendsÂ -> Hard to believe that we receive over $2,000 in dividend income in less than 2 months in 2016.
18. Spending holiday in Cinque Terre and enjoying the wonderful food and wine with Mrs. T -> Would love to go back one of these days.
19. Continuing with the budget, reviewing it with Mrs. T and agreeing on the budget -> Increased our net worth by 250% in 5 years? Yup budgeting does work.
20. Having regular hygge with Mrs. T to enjoy life
I donâ€™t recall why I wrote down these things at end of 2012. Whatever the reason was, I am glad that I did. Itâ€™s important to be appreciative. If we donâ€™t appreciate who we are and what we have right at this moment, how are we suppose to enjoy our lives?
Too often we forget to take a step back and appreciate what we have already. What we have already might seem insignificant when we compare to a celebrity. But to someone living in a developing country, what we have today is often considered asÂ aÂ luxurious lifestyle to them. Itâ€™s all about your point of view.
Your car may be 8 years old and has been reliable and worry free. Instead of dreaming or buying a new car, wash your car and give appreciation to your car. You may live in a small apartment and want to move to a bigger house. Instead of dreaming a bigger house, buy some flowers and decorate the apartment to give appreciate to your apartment on how it has been able to provide a roof over your head. Simple gestures like ones mentioned can bring happiness and calmness to your life. You can also do the same to your friends and family. Stop being on your smartphone all the time and actually have a conversation with your friends and family. Practice saying thank you from the bottom of your heart to people that have helped you.
We all need to take time and enjoy the small things in life. People that donâ€™t take the time to appreciate life may never be satisfied. This only leads to more wants and the never ending cycles of buying more stuff. Ever wonder why there are so many people in debt and have too many unnecessary stuff? Learn to appreciate what you already. This will make you a happier person in the long run. Stop trying to show off to other people. Stop caring what others think about you. Youâ€™re perfect the way you are.